There are many different options for accounting and it can be difficult to decide which is the best for you or your business. You can hire an accountant to do your books or you can use accounting software. Each has its own pros and cons, and it helps to understand them before making a decision. In this blog post, we will discuss the pros and cons of hiring an accountant vs. using accounting software. Hopefully it will help you decide which option is right for you!
Hiring An Accountant
Hiring an accountant is a good option for businesses that don’t have the time or resources to do their own accounting. An accountant can help you with everything from bookkeeping to tax preparation. They will keep your books in order and make sure you are compliant with all applicable laws. Hiring an accountant also gives you someone to rely on for advice and support. A main benefit of hiring an accountant is the time it saves. You can focus on other aspects of your business and personal life instead of working on your finances for hours on end.
However, It can also be difficult to find an experienced accountant who is knowledgeable about your specific industry. Additionally, you are limited to the services that the accountant offers. If you need help with something that the accountant does not offer, you will have to find someone else to help you.
Using Accounting Software
Using accounting software is a good option for businesses that want to do their own books but don’t have the time or resources to hire an accountant. The software gives you access to all of your financial information in one place, which makes it easier for you to keep track of what’s going on with your business and make decisions based on that information.
However, using accounting software can be very time consuming and difficult to learn. You need to be able to understand financial statements in order to use the software effectively. If you don’t have any experience with accounting, it will take some time to learn how to use the software and understand what the statements mean. Additionally, you are responsible for entering all of your financial information into the software, which can be a time-consuming process. If you find yourself struggling with the software, it is wise to consider hiring an accountant.
In conclusion, both hiring an accountant and using accounting software have their own pros and cons. It is important to weigh the pros and cons of each option before making a decision. If you use accounting software, make sure that the software is easy to learn and use before purchasing it. This will help ensure success!
If you hire an accountant, make sure that you hire someone who is knowledgeable about your industry and has experience working with businesses like yours. We pride ourselves at Motl Accounting on helping various types of businesses and individuals with their taxes. Whether you need accounting or payroll services, we can help. The most important factor when it comes to your finances is peace of mind and we offer that to our clients.
Need help with your business finances or personal taxes? Contact one of our experienced professionals at our West Dundee location to get the help you need.
The Great Resignation and other factors have led to a shortage of workers and business leaders are having to find creative ways to recruit employees. It currently helps to be flexible when looking for workers to keep your business operating at the pace it should. For example, consider part time workers or freelancers for full-time positions till you can find the employee you are looking for.
The focus should be on your business production output and how you can get there with the workers you can get. We have a list below of where and how you can find workers to help you permanently or temporarily.
- Advertise on Job Board – Job seekers visit job boards like Indeed to seek employment. Posting your openings there can reach many seeking employment. You can also sponsor your openings to reach more people seeking jobs in your industry.
- Advertise on Social Media – Post your positions on social media and use their job boards as well. LinkedIn and Facebook have places where you can post open positions with the descriptions, salary and more. Your open positions can gain lots of exposure through social media and in turn lead you to the right candidates.
- Ask for Referrals – Ask for referrals through your local business chamber, local community events and even friends and family. You’ll be surprised at how they may be able to connect you to a suitable candidate or point you in the right direction.
- Attend Career Fairs – Attend physical and virtual career fairs to meet with job seekers. Many career fairs focus on industries, so search for those that are in yours to have access to those looking for jobs in your industry.
- Recruit Part timers – Consider part time employees for full time positions. This might warrant managing more employees on your part. However if the success of your business depends on headcount production, it’s worth considering
- Recruit Freelancers & Contractors – Hire contractors who can help you in any capacity till you find an employee. There are also many freelance websites where you can find professional freelancers who can assist you.
Managing Your Employees After the Pandemic
The COVID-19 crisis led to many changes in how employees work. Employees had to adjust to new routines and organizations had to make adjustments by providing access to work remotely. With normalcy setting in and the return of workers to physical offices, this could be a great time to revisit how to manage your team as they return to their work spaces. Meeting with your human resources and payroll providers to make adjustments that will keep your company and employees safe is advisable. We have a few tips here to consider when it comes to managing your human resources for positive results.
Revisit the Employee Handbook
The employee handbook is to have policies and procedures to help defend you from lawsuits. Ask an attorney to review your handbook to ensure it meets the times and update it as needed. Roll it out through a series of training sessions and have your employees (old and new hires) sign a statement acknowledging their understanding of the updated handbook.
Revisit the Office Setup
The pandemic led to a new awareness of being extra cautious and safe. Employees will want to feel safe at work and how your office is organized could make a difference. Consider having more space between staff desks and cubes to make everyone feel comfortable. You can also ask your employees for input on what their preferences are and accommodate them based on company policies and resources.
Everybody deserves fair and equal treatment at the workplace and supporting your employees in this manner is encouraged. After a tumultuous year, providing the environment and flexibility that supports all manner of employees can make a difference in your business outcomes and in the lives of your staff. Having guidelines and policies that ensure fairness to all your employees should provide them with the peace of mind to carry out their duties effectively. You can also refer to the CDC’s guidelines on general business questions for COVID-19
As a human resource and payroll company, ensuring our clients are safe with the right information and tools is a main objective. It is important that business owners have the right answers to questions to keep them compliant and that’s where we make a difference.
Contact one of our Payroll Rockstars at 847-426-2100 to learn how we assist many businesses in the Chicagoland area with their payroll and human resources needs. We’d be happy to assist you and your staff with managing your payroll and keeping you compliant.
Growing as a business is certainly of importance to most business owners. After all, you will want your company to flourish and continue to experience growth for many years to come. However, in order for your business to head in a positive direction, it helps to utilize proper financial planning and analyzing…that’s where an accountant comes into play!
Are you aware of how accountants can benefit your own business? Many might believe an accountant just helps with the crunching of numbers, but you’ll be surprised that great accounting practices actually help businesses grow and generate more profits in the process.
We understand just how beneficial an accountant can be for a business! We have helped several businesses in the Chicagoland area and provided them with great information that’s helped their businesses. That’s why we have gathered five ways in which accountants can help a business grow by working with an accountant like Motl Accounting in Dundee, Illinois. If you would like to discover what these ways are, be sure to continue reading:
- Creates Budgets & Forecasts Reporting. It’s important that every business has a plan for their future. Therefore, you will want to set up goals to achieve over the next year, as well as create charts and graphs to keep yourself on track and complete them. By working with an accountant, you can have reports created which will showcase how your fixed and variable costs compare with your sales volume throughout the year, providing you with knowledge of the market conditions that you will need for profitable growth.
- Discovers Key Performance Indicators. Every business has key performance indicators. If you are in retail, you might use inventory turnover for construction or it might be job costing. Your accountant should assist you with discovering yours, as well as advise on methods to set up reports, allowing you to see how they perform over time so that you can make the best decisions for your business for its future growth.
- Maintains Cash Flow Projections. If there is one thing you want to understand as a business, it’s your cash flow! After all, without cash your business wouldn’t be able to operate at the level you’d want it to. An accountant will create financial reports right out of your accounting software which will assist you with planning your key performance indicators and properly maintaining your cash flow. It’s important to know how to expand your product lines, increase direct costs and add employees in a way that keeps your cash flowing just as it should.
- Determines Your Businesses Value. It’s important that you know the value of your business so that you can plan for your future. Seeing as opportunities or life events can present themselves at any time, you will want to know how much your business is worth, given the current market conditions. An accountant can assist you with getting to determine your businesses value, so that you can maximize it and your tax liability. We have professionals we partner with at Molt Accounting that help our clients with business valuations.
- Creates Advisory Boards. For your business to remain fiscally strong and healthy, you will want to be advised and know what to expect for the years to come. An accountant will work with you to develop a system so that you can forecast budgets, cash flow management and an overall financial analysis for your business. This way you can monitor your goals and business growth through a dashboard and ensure that it is always headed in a positive direction.
These are just a few ways in which an accountant like us can assist your own business with growing.
Are you ready to work with an accountant in the Northwest Suburbs of Chicago to grow your own business and provide your peace of mind in the process? If so, please get in touch with us one of our accounting therapists at Motl Accounting, as we would be pleased with the opportunity to assist you with doing so!